Wednesday, March 9, 2011

2700 miles and counting on my commuter bike

I just hit 2700 miles on my GEBE/Gary Fisher build this past week. Still riding the same drive belt. I pedal assist 95 % of the time to help the engine and to get just a bit of a workout on the way to work.
The GEBE kit is an absolute proven system in my mind and any of you happy time riders can just watch and learn as I put this system through its paces. Lets figure it costs 50 cents per mile to operate a car in the United States. So lets figure I have saved nearly 1400 dollars so far in commuter expense over my car. Lets see that's over twice what it cost to buy this kit. I fully expect things to break down including my bike but its just way cheaper to go this route IMO.
Ride what ya want and be happy but this is a cutting edge motored biking site!
I am taking off the full studded 2.5 inch mountain bike tires and putting the 1.5 inch slicks back on to the bike today! That should make for some better fuel economy for sure.
Happy time riders need to step up their Internet presence into the real commuter world as I see things. I just don't think that those contraptions will hold up like my system has over time.
Again ride what ya want but please post some relevant facts once in awhile!


MBCC

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have over 4100 miles on my Tanaka 32cc GEBE system with no major problems and never being stranded on the road. It has been totally reliable.

Unfortunately, I am currently grounded due to a shoulder injury and operation. (No, NOT due to a bike accident.)

Virginian

March 24, 2011 at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home