Monday, March 28, 2011

First failure of GEBE wear item at 3200 miles

On my way home from work on Friday night my drive belt failed. So I changed out the drive belt with my spare in the dark only my bike lights and it took about 5 minutes to replace the failed belt! I was told that I am doing really well on my drive belt miles. These belts are cheap as opposed to gas and oil that it would take to get me down the road in my car. About 20 bucks. My other failure was the strap that attaches the engine to the frame and that was my fault and in spite of my not understanding how to properly install this system I got 1700 miles out of that drive strap!
So my maintenance costs for 3200 miles is one drive belt and about a quarter of a quart of oil for a total of about 21 bucks and about 16 gallons of gas! So that's about 70 bucks for gas oil and maintenance for 3200 miles!
Lets compare that to my econobox. I just replaced the brakes and battery and had the transmission serviced and the engine belt changed out for a total cost of near 1000 dollars. Never mind the cost of insurance and gas! Fuel costs for my econobox would be for 92 gallons of gas at an average of three bucks is 280 dollars. So in the last six months I spent 1280 dollars on my car not including insurance and 70 bucks on that bike! Well that is if I would have driven that econobox all of those miles. Most of those miles the last six months were on that GEBE/Fisher system.
This is huge money that can be saved riding one of these bikes. And if I could suggest ride a pedal bike and those costs approach zero as I plan on doing for part of my transportation mix.
This is interesting stuff. I have no answers just writing about my personal experiences!

MBCC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home