Monday, March 28, 2011

Local motored bike builder

There is a custom builder of motored bicycles in Greendale WI featuring the Happy Time engine that is either a 66cc or the racing 80cc engine by Grubee Engine.
The bikes built from them seem of good quality and on steel frames. They have a pretty neat web page featuring vintage bicycles and cruiser bicycles of course made of steel! GEBE should consider a dealer network just to sell kits so that small local shops could get high quality motors and mount them on bikes like these. Could be a great business in these times. And in my opinion if a customer was given a GEBE option along with the Happy Time option with all of the con's associated with the HT engine me thinks that it would be a no brainer decision! I was just thinking out loud here!
http://custommotoredbicycles.com/home_custom_motored_bicycles
The small company is called Lynn custom motored bicycles.
On her site it is made clear that the engines are not warrantied and the buyer must have mechanical aptitude since she is up front that these machines need constant maintenance.
The selling point is the resemblance to the old Harley Davidson motorcycles of the early 1900's.
I have 743 dollars into my GEBE kit and at first look that seems like a lot compared to an entire motored bike for the same money! However the Robin/Subaru engine has a full no questions asked three year warranty. I am not concerned with Lynn's bike frames but I am concerned with the quality of the motors and of course their displacement. In Wisconsin engine displacement for a motored bike is limited to 48cc or less so her bikes are illegal in Wisconsin. However I must point out that she did get an article in the Milwaukee journal about her business so it probably is just ignored by the police.
The reality is that it's just a matter of time until the police figure it out if enough of these bikes show up on the streets and I would suggest that she have an option for a legal displacement engine if and when that does happen. The Milwaukee area is very cash strapped and the municipalities will use any issue to generate revenue and that could mean big tickets for some.
The GEBE system is nothing new as Lynn points out on her nice website but it just refines and brings into the 21st century the notion of a power assist bicycle using modern engineering and modern engines like the Robin OH35 engine! With an engine like the Robin/Subaru on a properly set up bike with this kit mounted to it one needs little mechanical aptitude! Lynn could build up some fine GEBE kits I would expect on some of her cool bicycles. Much impressed with her site and business.

MBCC

4 Comments:

Anonymous Augie said...

she DOES have a legal HT choice...the grube 48cc...but she made a choice to sell illegal engines instead. phooey on her and all the others like her. i'm closing the webring, for the same reason i left the forums...i do not want my non-commercial personal-site associated with anything that's detrimental to the future of legal MB'ing.

March 28, 2011 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger KMB said...

Augie,

I think you should keep it open. Going silent will not help the cause. I see all of the disinfo posted from some of these people and I guess I don't blame you. I still have yet to see one motored biker and on my route to work I have only seen 3 cyclists do to the roads I use being main high ways.

MBCC

March 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger KMB said...

At least here I have editorial control which needs to be maintained and most stupid posts can be countered or censored and yes I have a bias towards GEBE and that upsets some folks so what!
And your need to point things out like the 49cc option that Lynn fails to offer to her customers. And these people call anyone that sells kits a "vendor" and just lumps them all together with out any judgement at all about them. How does that serve anyone out their that is trying to make a decision about a motored bicycle? Yes I am judging them and plan to continue to do so in the future on these issues.

March 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger KMB said...

The notion of editorial control is why the MBC forums ended up the way that they did. People as this poster Anon really disagrees with my support of GEBE and says that I am biased and I never do any thing but agree that I am biased and then I give reasons for that bias. GEBE is superior to there list of "vendors" on their site and that's about as simple as I can put it Augie. And as a blogger I can't dis this persons business when she promotes not using walmart bikes and being safe. Her problem is a willful choice of an Illegal displacement engine. My crime I guess on this blog to some is that I will not bend nor never will bend on this issue. Is it a bicycle or a motor cycle. With GEBE it is a Bicycle.

kev

March 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home